A very brief description of the competition requirements:
• Design, build and fly two airplanes consisting of a Production version and a Manufacturing version.
• Production version is required to be capable of carrying a payload equal to a 32 oz. bottle of fluid as well as allow for disassembly/reassembly to provide for transport in the Manufacturing version.
• Manufacturing version is required to be capable of transporting the components of the Production version over a prescribed course making as many trips as necessary to transport and reassemble the Production version.
• Prepare and submit a detailed report of their entire project.
• The flight competition will include flying the manufacturing plane without a payload, flying the production plane with a payload, and transporting the subcomponents of the Production version within the Manufacturing version. All flying will be over a prescribed course and time frame. In addition pilots do not have to be members of the university but must be AMA pilots.
• Additional detailed information is available on AIAA’s website.
This is a challenging project and the final judging will take place April 15, 16 and 17.
Good luck to the Rice Team….
Vice PresidentLawrence Harville